The San Mateo-Foster City School District provides services for students who are found to be eligible for special education based on federal and state criteria. A wide range of placements and services are available to special education students based on their Individual Education Plans (IEPs). The District is committed to providing every student in special education with a high-quality, free and appropriate public education based on their unique, individual needs. We strive to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with all parents and families of special education students as we work together on behalf of students.
special education during covid-19 distance learning
While we are delivering instruction through Distance Learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have created a Family Resources website (English | Spanish) which contains a section devoted to Special Education Resources (English | Spanish).
district closure due to covid-19, prior written notice, August 18, 2020
special education presentation, board of trustees, august 6, 2020
Who's Who in SMFCSD Special Education
Need to find support? Please see the Special Education Staff Roster and the Special Day Class Teachers and Resource Specialists organization charts.
The San Mateo-Foster City School District is seeking young people from birth to eighth grade who may need special education services, including highly mobile (such as migrant or homeless) children with disabilities and children who are suspected of having a disability and in need of special education. If you believe your child may have any of these special needs, please contact the San Mateo-Foster City School District Office at (650) 312-7700.
Important CDE Notices
The following notices are from the California Department of Education regarding the Morgan Hill case (Notice of Disclosure of Records and Objection to the Disclosure of Information and Records). More information and questions can be obtained by calling 1-916-319-0800.
Los siguientes avisos son del Departamento de Educación de California en relación con el caso de Morgan Hill (Aviso de Divulgación/Publicación de Registros Escolares y Objeción a la Publicación de Información y Registros Estudiantiles). Más información y preguntas se pueden obtener llamando al 1-916-319-0800.
The San Mateo-Foster City School District offers Special Education programs and services for students that meet eligibility criteria specified in Federal and State law. Students eligible for Special Education have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) that contains the goals, services, and/or placements developed and implemented by the IEP team. Special Education programs and services, which are all based on identified IEP goals, include:
- Resource Specialist Programs provide direct academic instruction or, either in a pull-out or push-in model; as well as consultative services, to students in general education classes.
- Special Day Classes are self-contained classes serving students (pre-K-8th grade) with more intensive learning needs for the majority of the school day. Classes range from Mild to Moderate (less intensive) to Severe (highly intensive). All special day class students have access to standards-based instruction regardless of the severity of their disabilities.
- Designated Instructional Services are provided for students who meet eligibility criteria specified in Federal and State Law. Designated Instructional Services include:
- speech and language therapy
- occupational therapy
- physical therapy
- adaptive physical education
- behavior intervention
- deaf/hard of hearing services
- vision/orientation/mobility services
special education acronyms
Many acronyms are used in the laws and organizations that serve the needs of students with special needs. Please see an extensive list of Special Education acronyms.