Safe Routes to School (SRTS) grant aims to promote walking and biking to school and improve traffic safety through the 6 E's: Education, Encouragement, Enforcement, Engineering, Equity, and Evaluation. The grant is in cooperation with the San Mateo County Office of Education, with funding provided the City/County Association of Governments.
The Board of Trustees recognizes that walking, bicycling, and other forms of active transport to school promote students’ physical activity and reduce vehicle traffic and air pollution in the vicinity of schools. The District has developed a Safe Routes to School Program Board Policy 5142.2 that promotes programs, activities, and events related to Safe Routes to Schools 6 E’s: education, encouragement, enforcement, engineering, equity, and evaluation.
In addition, schools promote walking and bicycling to school for county-wide events:
- International Walk to School Day on October 4, 2017
- Earth Day on April 22, 2018
- Walk, Bike, and Roll to School Day on May 9, 2018
Safe Routes to School Informational Video
International Walk to School Day 2013- Beresford Elementary School Video
School Traffic Safety Recommendations
- San Mateo Annual Traffic Safety Letter 2017 | Español
- Foster City Annual Traffic Safety Letter 2017 | Español
- San Mateo County Safe Routes to School
- National Center for Safe Routes to School
- International Walk to School
- Walk and Bike to School Day