The Common Core State Standards Initiative
Visit the Common Core State Standards website to learn why the Common Core is important to your child, explore the Common Core, and better understand how the Common Core was created.
SMFCSD's Top 5 Favorite Common Core Literacy Resources
SMFCSD's Top 5 Favorite Common Core Math Resources
- National PTA Parent's Guide to Student Success
- Parent Roadmaps to the Common Core Standards - Mathematics
- Iluminations: Resources for Teaching Math
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
- Let's Read Math: Math and Literature
SMFCSD's Top 5 Favorite Resources for Parents of English Learners
Did you know there are new standards for English Language Development from the California Department of Education? The new ELD standards were adopted on November 7, 2012. In response to the adoption of the Common Core State Standards, the new ELD standards were grounded in two core principles:1) transparency toward input from the field and 2) development based in sound theory and empirical research.
- CDE English Language Development Standards
- Understanding Language - Stanford
- Common Core Standards for ELL's
- Application of Common Core Standards for ELL's
- Helping ELL's Meet the Common Core in English Language Arts
Resources for Special Education Community
The California Department of Education (CDE), Special Education Division (SED), Special EDge publication entitled What New Standards Mean for Students with Disabilities is now posted on the CDE Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Resources for Special Education Web page.
This edition includes insight into the CCSS and universal design for learning, new assessments, professional development, Individualized Education Program (IEP), and Multi-Tiered System of Supports. At-a-glance one page resource documents translated into English and Spanish on the CCSS and students with disabilities are available for free for the following groups:
- School Administrators
If you have any questions regarding these CCSS SED resources, please contact Kristen Brown, Education Research and Evaluation Consultant, Special Education Division, by phone at (916) 445-1064 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Resources for Families of TK & Kindergarten Students
- Common Core Standards for English Language Arts
- Common Core Standards for Mathematics - Kindergarten Introduction
- Kindergarten California Curriculum Guide
- National PTA Council Kindergarten Parent Guide
Common Core Reading Series on NPR
NPR Ed has released a four-part series on Reading in the Common Core era. The series addresses our newly adopted standards and highlights success and challenges for students and teachers alike.
Below are links to three of the four parts in the series. Each part includes a 5-10 minute audio along with a corresponding article. Parents and teachers will find this series very interesting as the NPR contributors illustrate the complexity of the Common Core Standards by connecting to real-time student learning.
- nprED Part 1 - Common Core Reading: The New Colossus
- nprED Part 2 - Common Core Reading: The High Achievers
- nprED Part 3 - Common Core Reading: The Struggle Over Struggle
- nprED Part 4: Coming Soon!
What Everyone Needs to Know About Common Core State Standards
This infographic illustrates what everyone needs to know about the Common Core State Standards. Special sections for teachers and students include great tips on how to prepare for the coming rigor and complex test items on the Common Core assessments.