SMFCSD Focus on Mathematics
Throughout our school year, staff and students will continue to engage in dialogue, planning and professional development on Common Core Mathematics. This is an exciting time to look at our current math instruction with so many fantastic resources and research at our fingertips. Many nations across the globe are outscoring the United States in mathematics. Renowned leaders in mathematics across the country are telling us that it is time to acknowledge that past practices are not working and are urging all stake-holders to take a look at long-standing research that shows us how students best learn mathematics. The SMFCSD is committed to ensuring all students gain a deep knowledge of mathematics to be best prepared for college and career.
Below are a few great resources for parents that many of our staff members are using as well:
- Jo Boaler, Professor of Mathematics Education, Stanford University & founder of Youcubed provides information in this video 3 Responses to Why We Need Common Core.
- Article from the New York Times about why the US has been falling behind in mathematics - Why Do Americans Stink At Math?.
- Great guide for parents explaining the 8 Mathematical Practices - SMP PARENT Guide.
Common Core Mathematics Overview by Grade Level
Do you want to know what your student will be learning in mathematics by grade level? Click below to view the Common Core Mathematics Standards Overviews. Each overview provides information on the big topics in mathematics for each grade level. They're a great parent resource.
- Kindergarten Standards Overview
- 1st Grade Standards Overview
- 2nd Grade Standards Overview
- 3rd Grade Standards Overview
- 4th Grade Standards Overview
- 5th Grade Standards Overview
- 6th Grade Standards Overview
- 7th Grade Standards Overview
- 8th Grade Standards Overview
Phil Daro & David Foster's San Mateo Union High School District Presentation on Common Core Mathematics
On May 13, 2014 the San Mateo Union High School district hosted an informative Community Education Night with Common Core Math Standards co-writer, Phil Daro and David Foster, from the Silicon Valley Math Initiative. Both presenters spoke about the foundations of the Common Core standards in mathematics, the importance of possessing a deep understanding of the mathematical practices, as well as assessment and acceleration in mathematics.
You may view the video of the presentation, access slides from the PowerPoint and find resources below.
Fluency in Mathematics is More Than Memorization of Math Facts
Dr. Jo Boaler, Stanford University math specialist and co-creator of Youcubed explains why rote memorization of math facts is not an automatic pathway to becoming a high achieving math student. In fact, many students shut down when asked to complete timed tests. Research reveals that high achieving students know more than just math facts - they have a deep understanding of number sense.