Skip To Main Content

San Mateo-Foster City School District Child Nutrition Department


The goal of the San Mateo-Foster City School District Child Nutrition Department is to serve healthy, appetizing meals at a reasonable cost to all our students in order to promote health today and in the future. As partners in education, we support our students with nutritious meals in order for students to be ready to learn in the classroom and to reach their highest academic potential.

Menus are planned to be consistent with all State and Federal requirements as well as the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. School meals are available everyday school is in session.

request for proposal no. cns-01-19

The San Mateo-Foster City School District will receive sealed Requests for Proposal (RFP) from providers for the distribution of processed USDA Foods and commercial food products.

RFP's must be received prior to 1:01 PM (PST), on Friday, May 18, 2018. RFP's must be submitted in a sealed envelope, marked with the RFP number and title, and returned to the San Mateo-Foster City School District, Child Nutrition Services, 1170 Chess Drive, Foster City, CA 94404.

     Request for Proposal CNS-01-19

     Proposal Worksheet CNS-01-19

     Addenda CNS-01-19

     Notice of Conditional Award Letter

     Proposal Worksheet Results

Common Questions

Can I order sack lunches for a field trip?

Yes, you can order sack lunches for field trips.

Lunch must be available to ALL students on ALL school days, even when they are on a field trip. All students may participate in field trip bag lunch provided through Child Nutrition.

Bag lunch request must be received 10 working days in advance using the Field Trip Bag Lunch Request Form.

Can I pay for lunches in advance for my student?

Yes, you may prepay for lunches. You may prepay any amount. Visit your school office for prepaid envelopes or for a small fee you can use our on-line payment system

How much does lunch cost?

Breakfast cost $1.50 at all sites serving breakfast. Full paid lunch is $2.50 at elementary school, and $3.00 at the middle schools. There is no charge for meals if you qualify for reduced-price meal benefits.

Does the District participate in a Subsidized Meal Program?

Yes, our district does participate in the Free and Reduced Lunch program with the State of California. Applications can be submitted anytime during the year. 

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?

No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application per family for all the students in your household.  We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to your child's school or to Child Nutrition Services located at 1170 Chess Drive, Foster City, CA 94404.

Who can get free meals?

Children in households getting Food Stamps or TANF and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free price meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals?

Please call at the Child Nutrition Department (650) 312-1968 if you need information regarding your child(ren)s eligibility.

Who can get reduced price meals?

Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Chart, shown on the Letter to Households.

Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free or reduced price meals?

Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. Call Nutrition Services at (650) 312-1968 if you have questions.

Can I apply Online?

Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able. The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Visit to begin or to learn more about the online application process. Contact Child Nutrition Services at (650) 312-1968 or email Vickie Miller at if you have any questions about the online application.

Will the information I give be checked?

Yes, we may ask you to send written proof.

If I don't qualify now, may I apply later?

Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start getting CalFresh (Food Stamps), CalWORKs or other benefits. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals.

Who should I include as members of my household?

You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you.

If you have other questions or need help, please call (650) 312-1968.