School Messenger Communications
SchoolMessenger is a web-based communication tool currently used by the San Mateo-Foster City School District. The system enables the district and its schools to personally communicate with parents/guardians to support emergency preparedness, school community involvement and student attendance. The phone numbers, email addresses, and cell phone numbers that are used in these communications come from the District's student information system. It is possible to unsubscribe or subscribe to each type of broadcast. Unsubscribing from one or more of the communication options will limit your ability to receive important messages from your school and the District.
If you are a parent and have questions or concerns about SchoolMessenger, first contact your school. If you are receiving calls and do not have any children in the district, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “SchoolMessenger” or call 650-312-7250 and leave a message.
Phone calls are sent to the phone number of the primary contact for your student. If you would like to change the number that is called please contact your school.
Email messages are sent to the primary and secondary contact for your student. Each email message includes a link at the bottom of the message that allows you to opt-out of receiving future messages. If you accidentally unsubscribed from receiving email messages from SchoolMessenger or you would like to change the email address that is used for these messages please contact your school site.
SchoolMessenger allows the district and school sites to send messages via phone, email and text message. The system is configured
to send text messages to cell phone numbers in
SchoolMessenger whose recipients have agreed to receive them.
Individuals will receive text messages ONLY if all three of the following requirements* are met:
1. The individual opts-in
2. A cell phone number is on file with the district
3. The message sender includes content for a text message
*These requirements address any concerns related to the accuracy of the database and costs associated with receiving text messages.
How do recipients opt-in to receive text messages?
1. Text the word “YES” to 67587 from each wireless device they wish to receive texts on.
2. In order to receive messages from the District, you need to opt-in from the number that is listed as the cell contact number in our student information system. If you need to update this number, please contact your school site. If you opt-in from a number that the school or District does not have you would not receive messages at that number.
[Note: Depending on the data synchronization configuration it may take 24 hours or more for numbers to be updated from the district SIS database.]
How do recipients opt-out of receiving text messages?
Recipients not wishing to receive text messages to a particular number can simply do one of the following:
1. Don’t opt-in, and don’t reply to the opt-in invitation message.
2. Text “STOP” to 67587 at any time.
3. Opt out online at http://schoolmessenger.com/txtmsg
Can the text messages come from a district phone number instead of the SchoolMessenger shortcode?
No, shortcodes are the industry standard and the only fast and reliable way to deliver mass text notifications.
I received a text message that says it’s from SchoolMessenger? What does it mean?
That was the opt-in invitation message sent by SchoolMessenger if it was from 67587 and it said:
“SMFCSD text messages. Reply Y for aprx 3 msgs/mo. Txt HELP 4info. Msg&data rates may apply. See http://schoolmessenger.com/txtmsg”
To continue receiving informational text messages from the school district reply with “YES”. If you don’t reply, you will not receive any future texts from SchoolMessenger.
I opted in, but I’m not receiving texts, what now?
Ensure your school has included your correct device number in the database in the cell phone fields that are synchronized with SchoolMessenger. It may take 24 hours for this number to be active after being changed or added to the district’s system.
- Send a text with the word “YES” from that specific device to 67587. You should receive an opt-in confirmation message from the service.
- If you want to receive texts on multiple devices, each device number must have an opt-in receipt.
- Confirm that the district has attempted to send a SchoolMessenger broadcast that includes a text message to your phone number.
If you have tried all of the above, please contact your wireless provider to determine if your account is set up to receive messages from a short code account.