Measure X Update - March 2018
Shovels in the Ground in 2018!
The new facilities projects at Abbott, Bayside and Borel Middle Schools and the new elementary school in Foster City will enter a much-anticipated stage of actual construction in 2018. Reaching this point has come after months of school and community input about location and design and careful work by the architects and engineers charged with designing the new facilities.
These four projects comprise Phase I of Measure X passed by Foster City and San Mateo voters in November 2015 to provide classrooms and other needed facilities for current and projected increases in student enrollment. The four Phase I projects are:
• A fourth elementary school in Foster City to be built at Shell and Beach Park (see New Elementary School in Foster City March 2018 Update)
• Adding classrooms and gym at Abbott (visit the Abbott website for more information on the project)
• Adding classrooms and a gym at Borel Middle School (visit the Borel website for more information on the project)
• Adding a gym at Bayside STEM Academy (visit the Bayside STEM website for more information on the project)
Once detailed construction documents are completed for each of these projects, they are submitted to California’s Division of State Architect (DSA) for review and approval. The estimated time between submission and approval is six months.
The Phase I projects are experiencing a very competitive construction environment. All new projects, regardless of whether they are publicly or privately owned and financed, have experienced cost increases. The District’s four projects are no exception and the District’s Board of Trustees has had several discussions over the last year about cost increases and how to reduce the costs of the projects while providing the needed facilities and keeping the District’s commitment to the voters for all eight of the Measure X projects. These discussions and decisions will continue through the bidding process for the projects.
Planning will begin in 2019 for Phase II of Measure X which includes projects for:
• Adding classrooms and replacing the administration/support services building at Bowditch Middle School in Foster City
• Adding classrooms and new multipurpose rooms to George Hall and Sunnybrae Elementary Schools in San Mateo
• Building a new elementary neighborhood school on the College Park/Turnbull Children’s Center campus
The most current information about our Measure X projects can be found on our Measure X Overview page. Please check back frequently to monitor our progress.
Joan Rosas, Ed.D.