CURIOUS ABOUT THE NEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL BEING BUILT IN FOSTER CITY?
Click here to view the Presentation from the July 24, 2018 Community Meeting
New Elementary School In Foster CIty
Major Milestones & Dates
As of September 27, 2018
- School Conveyance Agreement (SCA) Signed - November 2016
- First of 13 Community Meetings Started - November 2016
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Analysis Begun - Spring 2017
- City of Foster City Convenes Ad Hoc Committee - May 2017
- Education Specifications Work Completed - June 2017
- Conceptual Design Completed/DSA Drawings Begun - Summer 2017
- SCA Amendment 1 Approval - September 2017
- Division of State Architect (DSA) Submission - November 2017
- California Geologic Survey Approval - December 2017
- Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) Preliminary Environmental Assessment (PEA) Submitted - December 2017
- Environmental Impact Report (CEQA) Certified by the Board - January 2018
- Applications for Site Approval and Project Approval Submitted to the California Department of Education - January-February 2018
- DTSC Approval of PEA and development of Removal Action Workplan begun - February 2018
- Asbestos Removal Completed - May 2018
- Memorandum of Understanding between the City of Foster City and SMFCSD approved - June 2018
- California Department of Education Approval of School and Site Applications - July 2018
- DSA Approval - August 2018
- DTSC Approval of the Removal Action Workplan - August 2018
- Additional Testing for DTSC Done - August-September 2018
- Approval of Amendment to SCA - September/October 2018
- PG&E power turn-off/removal - September 27-October 2 2018
- Submission of State Bond Eligibility if Eligible - October 2018
- Site Demolition - October-December 2018
- Implementation of approved DTSC Removal Action Plan - November 2018
- Grading of Site - Start in December 2019
- Foundations - Start in February 2019 (weather dependent)
- Interval Testing per the DTSC Removal Action Plan - 30 days for 6 months to a year
- Anticipated Completion of Construction - June-July 2020 (weather dependent)
- Certification of Occupancy - July 2020
- Planned Occupancy - 2020-2021 School Year
SHOVELS IN THE GROUND IN 2018!
The new facilities projects at Abbott, Bayside and Borel Middle Schools and the new elementary school in Foster City will enter a much-anticipated stage of actual construction in 2018. Reaching this point has come after months of school and community input about location and design and careful work by the architects and engineers charged with designing the new facilities.
These four projects comprise Phase I of Measure X passed by Foster City and San Mateo voters in November 2015 to provide classrooms and other needed facilities for current and projected increases in student enrollment. The four Phase I projects are:
- A fourth elementary school in Foster City to be built at Shell and Beach Park (see New Elementary School in Foster City - July 2018 Update)
- Adding classrooms and gym at Abbott (visit the Abbott website for more information on the project)
- Adding classrooms and a gym at Borel Middle School (visit the Borel website for more information on the project)
- Adding a gym at Bayside STEM Academy (visit the Bayside STEM website for more information on the project)
Once detailed construction documents are completed for each of these projects, they are submitted to California’s Division of State Architect (DSA) for review and approval. The estimated time between submission and approval is six months.
The Phase I projects are experiencing a very competitive construction environment. All new projects, regardless of whether they are publicly or privately owned and financed, have experienced cost increases. The District’s four projects are no exception and the District’s Board of Trustees has had several discussions over the last year about cost increases and how to reduce the costs of the projects while providing the needed facilities and keeping the District’s commitment to the voters for all eight of the Measure X projects. These discussions and decisions will continue through the bidding process for the projects.
Planning will begin in 2019 for Phase II of Measure X which includes projects for:
- Adding classrooms and replacing the administration/support services building at Bowditch Middle School in Foster City
- Adding classrooms and new multipurpose rooms to George Hall and Sunnybrae Elementary Schools in San Mateo
- Building a new elementary neighborhood school on the College Park/Turnbull Children’s Center campus
The most current information about our Measure X projects can be found on our Measure X Overview page. Please check back frequently to monitor our progress.
Joan Rosas, Ed.D.
We are pleased to announce that on Thursday, November 3, 2016 the School Board of Trustees unanimously approved an agreement to purchase a fourth elementary school in Foster City on the Charter Square Shopping Center site.
Community members clearly expressed their desire to see an additional elementary school built in Foster City by supporting the Measure X facilities bond, which passed last November. The District’s acquisition of a fourth school will provide additional classroom space to address anticipated increased enrollment at the District’s existing Foster City school campuses. The new campus site is located on the corner of Beach Park and Shell Boulevards – a prime location to add an elementary school.
In February 2016 the District sold bonds to begin its Measure X Phase I construction projects. Phase I projects included the acquisition of land and the building of an elementary school in Foster City and the construction of new gyms and classrooms at Abbott and Borel Middle Schools and a new gym at the Bayside STEM Academy.
We appreciate the generous support of our community and are excited to move on to the next stage of planning and engagement for the design of the new school.
If you have additional questions about the school or construction, please send an email to email@example.com.