Important information for Summer Break: School offices will be closed from Monday, July 1 - Monday, July 22; they will not be accepting new student registrations during that time. Families can register for the 2019-2020 school year when the school offices open again on Tuesday, July 23.
SMFCSD New Student Registration 2019-2020
Welcome to the San Mateo-Foster City School District (SMFCSD). We are excited to welcome you to our schools and help guide you through the process of registering your child.
AGE & GRADE LEVEL ELIGIBILITY
- Kindergarten: Children entering Kindergarten must be 5 years old by September 1, 2019.
- Transitional Kindergarten (TK): Children entering Transitional Kindergarten must be 5 years old on or between September 2, 2019 – December 2, 2019.
- Students who do not turn 5 by December 2, 2019 are not eligible to enroll in the SMFCSD for the 2019-2020 school year.
Steps to Register
STEP 1: Determine your child’s school of assignment
- Find your child’s school of assignment: School Assignments
- All students in the District are assigned to a school based on their home address.
STEP 2: Collect all required registration documents
- Required registration documents must be complete and up-to-date in order to be accepted by the school office.
STEP 3: Bring all required registration documents to the school of assignment for document and address verification
- The new student registration process begins with document and address verification at your child’s school of assignment.
- Check the school of assignment’s website for their scheduled document verification dates/times.
- Present originals of the registration documents as well as one set of copies to the school of assignment.
STEP 4: Obtain a 15-character snapcode from the school of assignment after document and address verification
- Parents/guardians will receive a unique 15-character code, called a snapcode, after their registration documents have been verified by school office staff.
- Please note: the snapcode is unique to each child, and it is the expectation that all families are responsible for recording and remembering their child’s snapcode.
STEP 5: Fill out and submit the PowerSchool online registration form to complete the registration process
- The link to the online new student registration form is available on the sidebar to the right of this page.
- Parents/guardians will use their child’s snapcode to access and complete the PowerSchool online registration form.
- Parents/guardians will need to set-up an account with PowerSchool if new to the district.
- The priority registration window opened on December 3 (noon) and closed on December 20, 2018 (4:00 pm).
- The school sites will continue to accept new student registrations after Priority Registration ended on December 20, 2018; those registrations are submitted after Priority Registration has ended.
- Registration is considered complete only after you have entered and submitted all information into PowerSchool.
- The online registration form can be completed on any internet-enabled device (cell phone, tablet, laptop, computer).
SCHOOLS THAT HAVE A TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN (TK) PROGRAM:
The following schools have a Transitional Kindergarten program – Audubon, Baywood, Brewer Island, Foster City, George Hall, Highlands, Laurel, LEAD, Meadow Heights, Parkside Montessori (transfer lottery only), San Mateo Park, and Sunnybrae. If your school of assignment does not have a TK program, your child will be placed at a school that does for their TK year and then return to their school of assignment for Kindergarten the following school year.
WHAT IF I WANT MY CHILD TO ATTEND A DISTRICT-WIDE MAGNET SCHOOL WITH THEIR SIBLING?
District-wide magnet schools (College Park, Fiesta Gardens, North Shoreview Montessori & Parkside Montessori) do not take registration at their school sites. You must first follow the steps to register at your school of assignment. Upon completion and submission of the online PowerSchool new student registration form, you will then have the option to apply for a transfer online, requesting sibling preference, to attend the district-wide magnet school by December 20, 2018.
NEW STUDENT TRANSFER REQUEST PROCESS
- All families wishing to request a transfer MUST FIRST REGISTER their child at their school of assignment by completing the New Student Registration process. Parents/guardians will have the option to request a transfer after submitting a completed online PowerSchool new student registration form. The link to the transfer request form will be on the Submission Confirmation page of the online new student registration form. Parents/guardians may request up to two (2) schools of choice. All transfer requests received by the deadline of 4:00 pm on Thursday, December 20 will be entered into the school/program lottery. Transfer request status emails will be sent out by the end of the business day on Friday, February 1, 2019.
- Transfer requests received after the lottery deadline will automatically be added to the transfer request list in the order received.
- A transfer request is not a school registration and is not a guarantee of enrollment. Please visit the 2019-2020 Transfer Request Process page of the District website for more information.
A note about transfer requests: Plan to attend the school of assignment unless you receive communication that the transfer has been granted. Transfer requests are granted only if there is room in the school and grade level requested. All transfer requests expire on the first day of school for the 2019-2020 school year. Transfers will not be granted after that day.
If you have additional questions regarding the registration or transfer process, please explore the Registration & Enrollment pages of the District website, contact your school, or call the Student Services Department at (650) 312-7345. Please contact the school of assignment directly with questions specific to the school site.