Labor Relations Update
This page is designed to provide our staff and community with information, resources, and progress reports relevant to current contract negotiations that are taking place between the San Mateo-Foster City School District and the San Mateo Elementary Teachers Association (SMETA) and the Classified School Employees Association (CSEA). Please check back often for updates.
SMFCSD Press Release - SMFCSD & SMETA DECLARE IMPASSE ON NEGOTIATIONS - SEPTEMBER 24, 2018
The District and SMETA have worked together over the past five months to successfully reach tentative agreements on several areas of the collective bargaining agreement that were opened for negotiations this year. The District will continue to work in good faith with SMETA to bring the current contract negotiations to a fair, reasonable, and fiscally responsible resolution.
District and SMETA Negotiations Update - September 20, 2018
The District and SMETA met for its seventh bargaining session. The parties met and reviewed the articles and/or subsections where a tentative agreement was reached including:
- 5.9.1 and 5.9.2 - Increase the number of years of teaching experience from 10 to 12 years
- 5.17 - Additional $1,000 stipend for Title I and Montessori
- 8.5.3 - Class size of elementary physical education at no more than 36 students
- 8.5.4 - Appendix D for Special and General Education
- 8.6- Special Education Classes and Programs
- 8.7 - Support of Special Education Students in the General Education Setting
- Memorandum of Understanding for AB 119
Article 5-Compensation and Benefits
- The District‘s offer remained at 2% salary increase for 18-19 and an additional 2% salary increase for 19-20 contingent upon the passage of the parcel tax measure in November 2018. For the 18-19 year only, the cost of the District’s proposal is $1,300,000. Beginning in 19-20, the cost will be $2,600,000 for SMETA represented employees only.
- SMETA’s previous counter proposal was a salary increase of 4% for 18-19 and an additional 3% salary increase contingent upon the passage of the parcel tax measure in November 2018. The salary increase is to be paid in two installments of 1.5% effective January 1, 2019 and 1.5% effective June 1, 2019. For the 18-19 year only, the cost of the SMETA proposal is $3,575,000. Beginning in 19-20, the cost will be $4,550,000 for SMETA represented employees only.
- The District continued to propose that two early release days per month be used for professional development, collaboration, grade level, cross-grade level and/or departmental instructional planning meetings as determined by the grade level, cross-grade level and/or departmental teams with input from the site administrator.
- SMETA’s previous counterproposal was that one early release day per month be used for professional development, collaboration, grade level, cross-grade level and/or departmental instructional planning as determined by the grade level, cross-grade level and/or departmental teams with support from the site administrator.
Article 8-Class Size
- The District proposed to remain at the current class size and staffing ratios for other positions.
- SMETA’s previous proposal was to reduce:
- Middle school class sizes not to exceed 31 students each period and PE classes not to exceed 40 students per period. The current language is that middle school maximums will not exceed 185 students in regular classes and 240 students in PE classes.
- Student-to-counselor ratio at 500:1 instead of the current 600:1
- Student-to-school psychologist ratio at 1000-1200:1 instead of the current 1500:1
- TK-3 and 3rd/4th grade combination classes at 25 instead of the current 28 students
- Grades 4 and 5 classes at 27 instead of the current 30 students
The District offered its final proposal and it was not accepted by SMETA. The District is requesting the assistance of a mediator to help overcome the impasse and reach agreement on the remaining articles.
SMFCSD AND CSEA NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE - September 18, 2018
The District and CSEA met for its second bargaining session for 2018-2019. The meeting began with an introduction of team members.
Article 3: Check Off and Organizational Security and Article 5: Organizational Rights
- The parties exchanged proposals and counterproposals regarding union member dues. CSEA proposed the addition of a designee to use union release time to conduct association business.
Article 6: Hours and Overtime and Article 7: Vacations
- The District and CSEA continued to discuss the incorporation of the MOU language into the contract regarding summer cleaning and vacation scheduling. The parties also discussed revised time lines and procedure for vacation scheduling for Maintenance and Operations employees.
Article 8: Leaves
- The District discussed and revised its proposal to update the leave language relevant to child bonding leave.
Article 21: Pay and Allowances
- CSEA provided a proposal for a secondary language skills stipend and salary range increase for designated bilingual positions.
Article 29: Professional Growth
- The parties verbally agreed to a professional growth stipend amount of $275 per stipend up to 12 stipends. CSEA counter proposed increasing the maximum number of stipends to 18. The District provided a revised professional growth stipend request form consistent with proposed changes.
The District and CSEA teams will meet again on October 2, 2018 and November 29, 2018 to exchange counter proposals.