Welcome to the San Mateo-Foster City School District
Welcome to the San Mateo-Foster City School District. Our schools successfully educate approximately 12,500 students in preschool through eighth grades in 20 outstanding public schools located in San Mateo and Foster City. Students are educated to high, challenging academic standards and are prepared to be socially responsible, contributing members of our community as they:
- Develop life and career skills through academic excellence and personal wellness
- Become critical thinkers while taking responsible risks in their learning
- Acquire and exchange knowledge through collaboration and effective communication
- Utilize creativity and technology to maximize their potential
- Demonstrate socially responsible citizenship
We educate and inspire students to live, lead, and learn with integrity and joy.
COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS
Ensuring all students are prepared for success in college and career after high school is the foundation of the Common Core State Standards. Academic standards, as those outlined in the Common Core, provide clear and concise learning outcomes for all students at high standards. Having consistency across grade levels, schools, districts and states promoting equity by ensuring all students, no matter where they live, are well prepared with the skills and knowledge necessary to collaborate and compete with their peers in the United States and abroad.
California’s adoption of the CCSS on August 2, 2010, demonstrates its commitment to providing a world-class education to all of its students. In the San Mateo-Foster City School District, our Kindergarten through 8th grade students and teachers use California adopted Common Core State Standards to define student learning goals in English Language Arts & Literacy and mathematics.
For more information about the development of the Common Core State Standards, please visit http://www.corestandards.org/.
NEXT GENERATION SCIENCE STANDARDS
On September 4, 2013, the State Board of Education (SBE) adopted the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) for California for Kindergarten through Grade Twelve. The NGSS are rich in content, practice and arranged in a coherent manner across disciplines and grades to provide all student an internationally benchmarked science education.
San Mateo-Foster City is currently developing a plan to roll out the NGSS for implementation in the 2016-17 school year.
Thanks to the passage of Measure X in 2015, the SMFCSD is in the process of completing new facilities projects at Abbott, Bayside and Borel Middle Schools, and is in the planning phase for the new elementary school in Foster City will enter a much-anticipated stage of actual construction in 2018. Reaching this point has come after months of school and community input about location and design and careful work by the architects and engineers charged with designing the new facilities.
These four projects comprise Phase I of Measure X passed by Foster City and San Mateo voters in November 2015 to provide classrooms and other needed facilities for current and projected increases in student enrollment. The four Phase I projects are:
• A fourth elementary school in Foster City to be built at Shell and Beach Park (see New Elementary School in Foster City March 2018 Update)
• Adding classrooms and gym at Abbott (visit the Abbott website for more information on the project)
• Adding classrooms and a gym at Borel Middle School (visit the Borel website for more information on the project)
• Adding a gym at Bayside STEM Academy (visit the Bayside STEM website for more information on the project)
Planning will begin in 2019 for Phase II of Measure X which includes projects for:
• Adding classrooms and replacing the administration/support services building at Bowditch Middle School in Foster City
• Adding classrooms and new multipurpose rooms to George Hall and Sunnybrae Elementary Schools in San Mateo
• Building a new elementary neighborhood school on the College Park/Turnbull Children’s Center campus
The most current information about our Measure X projects can be found on the Measure X page.
San Mateo-Foster City School District’s teachers, staff, principals, and administrators genuinely care about the success of every child. We welcome you to our district.
Joan Rosas, Ed.D.